Whiplash Injury: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment in Dunedin
Every year, thousands of people suffer from an injury called whiplash. This can be a debilitating condition that often has a dramatic effect on a person’s quality of living.
What is whiplash? What causes whiplash?
The term whiplash refers to damage to the spine that occurs as a result of sudden and intense flexion and extension at the head and neck. Rapid and powerful bending forces at the head and neck often happen in a car accident, where a person’s body is violently jolted forward and backward. Whiplash can also occur in other situations, such as contact sports, work-related accidents, and falls.
Specific musculoskeletal structures that often become injured as a result of whiplash include the ligaments, tendons, joints, and muscles that surround the head, neck, and shoulder area.
What are the symptoms of whiplash?
Whiplash can present differently in every individual, and symptoms range from mild to severe. Common symptoms of whiplash include:
- Pain and stiffness in the neck, back, shoulders, and arms
- Headaches, migraines, and dizziness
- Muscle spasms and tenderness
- Difficulty focusing and sleeping
- Numbness, tingling, and nerve pain
What treatment options are available for whiplash injuries?
Doctors of chiropractic care are often the first health professionals sought out in the treatment of whiplash. Once a person has been medically cleared to assure that no severe bone or nerve damage has occurred (especially important following major car accident), examination and treatment by a chiropractor is an important to step to healing. Chiropractic treatment of whiplash includes:
- Chiropractic adjustments and spinal manipulations, to reset pain pathways and restore normal motion and alignment
- Massage, to relax strained and spasmed muscles
- Therapeutic modalities to promote anti-inflammation and tissue healing, including ice, electrical stimulation, and kinesiotape
- Postural screening and education to prevent chronic pain and maximize healing
Have you suffered a whiplash injury?
Know that help is available for you. At Raveling Chiropractic Center, P.A., we’re committed to helping all our patients get the relief and healing they deserve. If you’re local to the Dunedin, FL, area, call our office today to set up your appointment!
Have you been in a car accident recently? What kind of pain, if any, did you suffer from?